Assistant Head: Sixth Form
Contract hours: Full time
Salary: Competitive salary depending on experience plus benefits
Closing date: 23 January 2023, 9:00 am
Uppingham School has an exciting opportunity for an outstanding and professional teacher to join their senior leadership team as Assistant Head: Sixth Form.
Occupying a central position in the Uppingham leadership team, you will provide guidance and support to students in liaison with heads of departments, enabling the successful transition of pupils into the Sixth Form and the integration of new Sixth Form pupils at Uppingham. You will also have responsibility for ensuring that systems enable pupil underperformance to be identified quickly and that effective interventions are co-ordinated with the relevant teachers and pastoral staff.
Further duties include:
- Overseeing the suite of courses and qualifications offered in our parallel curriculum, strategising the content and delivery of innovative, high-quality academic and developmental experiences.
- Line managing the Sixth Form team of key providers of guidance including the Deputy Head of Sixth Form, Head of UCAS Applications and Head of Careers among others
You will be an experienced teacher possessing excellent communication and leadership skills. We expect you will value and promote inclusion, with the capacity to support an inclusive and diverse school community. A visionary and methodical individual, you will possess a range of high-level analytical and data-handling skills. A track record of first-rate teaching, curriculum and/or pastoral leadership and organisation, as well as a rapport with pupils and colleagues is vital. You will possess personal ambition, with aspiration to deputy headship and/or headship in due course.
An appreciation of the wider life of a seven-day-week boarding school is a prerequisite, along with a willingness to support pupils and colleagues in their endeavours both in and out of the classroom.
In return Uppingham offers a community that values people. We are warm, compassionate and mutually supportive. This is reflected in our working environment and the benefits we are able to offer:
- 50% contribution to premiums for School’s private health scheme
- Free membership of dual-use Sports Centre (£25 annual joining fee)
- Free staff lunches in term-time
- School fee discount for children of staff (, subject to change at any time)
- Retail, gym, supermarket, cinema and restaurant discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme which provides a range of support including counselling and legal advice.
- Occupational Health Services to support staff who have health/medical issues
- Free annual ‘flu jabs
- Recognised as a “Disability Confident” employer
- Recognised as a “Mindful” employer
- Accommodation may also be available
The closing date for applications is Monday 23 January 2023, 9.00am.
Longlist interviews will take place w/c Monday 30 January 2023 and shortlist interviews will take place w/c Monday 6 February 2023.
Assistant Head: Sixth Form – Candidate Information Pack
Please fill out the application form (below) and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Uppingham School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
All positions at the School are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, therefore ALL convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered ‘spent’ under the Act) MUST be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. All information given will be treated as confidential and each case will be taken on its merits. Failure to disclose this information may result in the withdrawal of an offer of employment or immediate termination of employment.
Uppingham School is an equal opportunities employer.
Working at Uppingham
Uppingham is a vibrant, stimulating, energetic and forward-looking school. Our community is made up of talented people offering a diverse range of experiences. We welcome applications from candidates who are both experienced and new to working within the independent education sector.