Deputy Head – Academic
This job has now closed
Contract hours: Full time
Salary: Competitive plus excellent benefits
Closing date: 16 November 2023, 12:00 pm
This is an exciting opportunity to play a pivotal role in the strategic leadership of Uppingham School’s academic provision and support our ambition to lead the way in British education.
Uppingham strives for the highest academic outcomes and demands that teaching is creative, inspirational, and innovative. We believe that the curriculum should excite intellectual curiosity and ensure pupils are challenged and imbued with thinking skills, so that they thrive academically and achieve excellent outcomes.
As Deputy Head – Academic, you will be crucial to our success, inspiring the highest of academic and professional standards from those who lead and deliver the academic curriculum.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Setting and communicating a clear, evidence-led, research-based academic strategic plan
- Leading standards of teaching and learning and driving creative pedagogies in all subject areas that help pupils to progress quickly
- Realising the school’s aim to provide an expert-informed, evidence-led broad and balanced curriculum in all phases of education
- Ensuring the school has robust systems and mechanisms for analysing baseline data and on-going pupil progress
You will be a visionary leader, with significant experience of curriculum leadership and organisation.
The nature of this role, coupled with the demand for creative leadership of the curriculum and teaching, requires a professional who demonstrates sophisticated, research-led, evidence-based practice.
The ability to inspire others, think flexibly, and to lead, create, and work as part of a team are essential. High-level analytical and data-handling skills will be essential to successfully deliver the strategic aims of the role.
Uppingham School is committed to offering a range of attractive benefits to its employees. These include:
- Free membership of the dual-use Sports Centre (£25 annual joining fee)
- Free staff lunches in term-time
- 50% contribution to premiums for School’s private health scheme
- Westfield Health Scheme providing money back for various treatments, including optical and dental
- Retail, gym, supermarket, cinema, and restaurant discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme which provides a range of support including counselling and legal advice
- Occupational Health Services
- Free annual ‘flu jabs’
- Recognised as a “Disability Confident” employer
- Recognised as a “Mindful” employer
- Working towards “Investors in Diversity”
The closing date for applications is Thursday 16 November 2023, at 12 noon.
Longlist interviews will take place throughout the week beginning 20 November 2023.
Shortlist interviews will take place on Monday 27 November 2023.
Uppingham School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
All positions at the School are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, therefore ALL convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered ‘spent’ under the Act) MUST be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. All information given will be treated as confidential and each case will be taken on its merits. Failure to disclose this information may result in the withdrawal of an offer of employment or immediate termination of employment.
Uppingham School is an equal opportunities employer.
Working at Uppingham
Uppingham is a vibrant, stimulating, energetic and forward-looking school. Our community is made up of talented people offering a diverse range of experiences. We welcome applications from candidates who are both experienced and new to working within the independent education sector.