Head of Academic Music
This job has now closed
Contract hours: Full time
Salary: Competitive salary plus benefits
Closing date: 26 January 2023, 9:00 am
Uppingham School has an exciting opportunity for a strong and dynamic teacher to appoint to the role of Head of Academic Music.
As Head of Academic Music, you will be responsible for the strategic leadership, development and realisation of academic music teaching at Uppingham. You will guide, support and appraise teachers within the department, overseeing the effective deployment of the department’s financial, material and human resources.
Key duties will include:
- Ensuring that Uppingham’s academic music teaching is creative, inspirational and innovative
- Leading the quality assurance of educational provision, monitoring teaching and learning, observing lessons and making key evaluations where necessary
- Promoting academic music at Uppingham to pupils, parents, school visitors and feeder prep schools
For candidates with the right skills, it may be possible to combine this position with the role of School Organist.
You will be an experienced and outstanding teacher, possessing excellent leadership and communication skills. You will be an inspirational character with unimpeachable subject knowledge, strong degree(s) and exemplary classroom management skills. A track record of first-rate teaching and a rapport with pupils is vital, pairing this with the ability to inspire others.
An appreciation of the wider life of a seven-day-week boarding school is a prerequisite, along with a willingness to take part in the boarding and extracurricular programme.
In return Uppingham offers a community that values people. We are warm, compassionate and mutually supportive. This is reflected in our working environment and the benefits we are able to offer:
- 50% contribution to premiums for School’s private health scheme
- Free membership of dual-use Sports Centre (£25 annual joining fee)
- Free staff lunches in term-time
- School fee discount for children of staff (, subject to change at any time)
- Retail, gym, supermarket, cinema and restaurant discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme which provides a range of support including counselling and legal advice.
- Occupational Health Services to support staff who have health/medical issues
- Free annual ‘flu jabs
- Recognised as a “Disability Confident” employer
- Recognised as a “Mindful” employer
The closing date for applications is Thursday 26 January 2023, 9.00am.
Interviews will take place on Wednesday 1 February 2023.
Uppingham School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
All positions at the School are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, therefore ALL convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered ‘spent’ under the Act) MUST be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. All information given will be treated as confidential and each case will be taken on its merits. Failure to disclose this information may result in the withdrawal of an offer of employment or immediate termination of employment.
Uppingham School is an equal opportunities employer.
Working at Uppingham
Uppingham is a vibrant, stimulating, energetic and forward-looking school. Our community is made up of talented people offering a diverse range of experiences. We welcome applications from candidates who are both experienced and new to working within the independent education sector.