This job has now closed
Contract hours: 44 per week, term time plus (job share or part-time working considered)
Salary: £24,224 per annum
Closing date: 18 September 2023, 12:00 am
This is an exciting opportunity to be an integral member of the Science Department at Uppingham School, providing technical and administrative support.
You will play a crucial role in assisting teachers within the department to provide a top-tier education. The department places strong emphasis on close collaboration between teachers and technicians, ensuring that practical experiments remain a central aspect of a student’s science education. Your main responsibilities will include:
- Carefully preparing, arranging, and tidying apparatus, chemicals, experiments, and demonstrations.
- Thoroughly maintaining the laboratories and other practical areas in the department, upkeeping sets of equipment in each laboratory.
- Diligently checking inventories, maintaining records, and notifying the team leader of any impending shortages.
The successful candidate will possess evident knowledge of safe working practices, ideally gained from your experience of working in a science laboratory. Strong problem-solving and organisational skills are necessary, and the ability to work harmoniously within a team is of utmost importance.
Additionally, excellent administrative skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office – including Word, Excel, and Outlook – will support you in fulfilling any data-logging requirements.
In return, Uppingham offers a community that highly values its members. Our environment is characterised by warmth, compassion, and mutual support, which is reflected in both our working atmosphere and the range of benefits we are pleased to provide:
- 50% contribution to premiums for School’s private health scheme
- Free membership of dual-use Sports Centre (£25 annual joining fee)
- Free staff lunches in term-time
- School fee discount for children of staff (subject to change at any time)
- Retail, gym, supermarket, cinema and restaurant discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme which provides a range of support including counselling and legal advice.
- Occupational Health Services to support staff who have health/medical issues
- Free annual ‘flu jabs
- Recognised as a “Disability Confident” employer
- Recognised as a “Mindful” employer
Closing date: Monday 18th September 2023.
Interview date: Tuesday 26th September 2023.
Uppingham School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Successful candidates must be willing to undergo full screening in accordance with Keeping Children Safe in Education (KCSiE), including an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check. Issues relating to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of pupils will be explored at interview.
Uppingham School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
All positions at the School are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, therefore ALL convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered ‘spent’ under the Act) MUST be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. All information given will be treated as confidential and each case will be taken on its merits. Failure to disclose this information may result in the withdrawal of an offer of employment or immediate termination of employment.
Uppingham School is an equal opportunities employer.
Working at Uppingham
Uppingham is a vibrant, stimulating, energetic and forward-looking school. Our community is made up of talented people offering a diverse range of experiences. We welcome applications from candidates who are both experienced and new to working within the independent education sector.