This job has now closed
Contract hours: 44 hours per week, term time plus
Salary: £22,745 pa
Closing date: 18 April 2023, 9:00 am
This is an exciting opportunity to be an integral member of the Science Department at Uppingham School, providing technical and administrative support.
You will be providing support to teachers in the department to help them deliver a first-class education. In this department, teachers work very closely with the technicians to ensure that experimental work forms a key and central part of a pupil’s science education. Key duties will include:
- Preparing, setting out and clearing away apparatus and chemicals, experiments and demonstrations
- Servicing the laboratories and other practical areas in the department, maintaining class sets of equipment kept in each laboratory
- Checking inventories and maintaining records and advising the team leader of impending shortfalls
The successful candidate will possess demonstrable knowledge of safe working practices, ideally gained from your experience of working in a science laboratory. You will need good problem solving and organisational skills and the ability to work as a member of a team will be crucially important.
You will also have excellent administrative skills and be IT literate with familiarity with Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Outlook, to assist with any data-logging requirements.
In return Uppingham offers a community that values people. We are warm, compassionate and mutually supportive. This is reflected in our working environment and the benefits we are able to offer:
- 50% contribution to premiums for School’s private health scheme
- Free membership of dual-use Sports Centre (£25 annual joining fee)
- Free staff lunches in term-time
- School fee discount for children of staff
- Retail, gym, supermarket, cinema and restaurant discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme which provides a range of support including counselling and legal advice.
- Occupational Health Services to support staff who have health/medical issues
- Free annual ‘flu jabs
- Recognised as a “Disability Confident” employer
- Recognised as a “Mindful” employer
The closing date for applications is 18 April 23 at 9.00am
Interviews will take place in the week commencing 25 April 2023.
Science Technician – Candidate Information Pack
Uppingham School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
All positions at the School are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, therefore ALL convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered ‘spent’ under the Act) MUST be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. All information given will be treated as confidential and each case will be taken on its merits. Failure to disclose this information may result in the withdrawal of an offer of employment or immediate termination of employment.
Uppingham School is an equal opportunities employer.
Working at Uppingham
Uppingham is a vibrant, stimulating, energetic and forward-looking school. Our community is made up of talented people offering a diverse range of experiences. We welcome applications from candidates who are both experienced and new to working within the independent education sector.