Visiting Music Teacher – Organ
This job has now closed
Contract hours: Part time
Closing date: 4 June 2023, 11:59 pm
Uppingham School has an exciting opportunity for an experienced organist to join our excellent musical team.
Uppingham is a Royal College of Organists accredited institution and boasts two pipe organs:
- The Chapel Organ, built by Nicholson in 2007 (incorporating pipework from the previous Harrison (1914)/Walker (1965) instrument and comprising three manuals, electric action; broadly, though not exclusively, English Romantic in style).
- The Memorial Hall Organ, built in 1931 by Keats and restored with a new console and a couple of tonal additions by Rushworth and Dreaper in 1997 (comprising three manuals, electric action, English Romantic in style).
There is additionally a three manual electric organ by Viscount, situated in the music department for additional practice purposes.
As a Visiting Music Teacher, you will teach the organ to students of all levels and abilities, preparing students for graded examinations, diplomas, GCSE and A Level performances and organ scholarships as required, in addition to participation in events such as workshops, masterclasses and school concerts. For the right candidate there could be some additional opportunities to teach keyboard harmony classes, accompany choir rehearsals and play for some school assemblies and services during term time.
With a proud musical heritage going back to 1865, music plays a fundamental role in the life of the School. The music department has a long-held reputation for excellence boasting first class facilities, including three bespoke music schools and a team of 46 Visiting Music Teachers and five faculty Heads.
With demonstrable experience as a professional performer of the highest calibre with an outstanding track record of instrumental teaching of different ages and abilities, we are looking for a personable, inspiring and supportive musician, who can motivate and engage pupils.
In return Uppingham offers a community that values people. We are warm, compassionate and mutually supportive. This is reflected in our working environment and the benefits we are able to offer:
- 50% contribution to premiums for School’s private health scheme
- Free membership of dual-use Sports Centre (£25 annual admin fee)
- Free staff lunches in term-time
- School fee day place discount for children of staff
- Retail and restaurant discounts, via Sodexo platform
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free annual ‘flu jabs
- Westfield health care package
Visiting Music Teacher – Organ – Candidate Information Pack
Uppingham School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
All positions at the School are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, therefore ALL convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered ‘spent’ under the Act) MUST be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. All information given will be treated as confidential and each case will be taken on its merits. Failure to disclose this information may result in the withdrawal of an offer of employment or immediate termination of employment.
Uppingham School is an equal opportunities employer.
Working at Uppingham
Uppingham is a vibrant, stimulating, energetic and forward-looking school. Our community is made up of talented people offering a diverse range of experiences. We welcome applications from candidates who are both experienced and new to working within the independent education sector.